۱۳۸۸ مهر ۲۸, سه‌شنبه

Finding Hope in Difficult Times: Part 3

Even in the Worst of Situations
A shining example of living with hope is Victor Frankel, a former prisoner in a Nazi prison camp. Over The entrance to the feared death camp of Auschwitz were these words, "Abandon all hope ye who enter here" (Dante Alighieri's inscription on the entrance to Hell).
"As a long-time prisoner in bestial concentration camps he [Viktor Frankl] found himself stripped to naked existence. His father, mother, brother, and his wife died in camps or were sent to gas ovens, so that, excepting for his sister, his entire family perished in these camps. How could he - every possession lost, every value destroyed, suffering from hunger, cold and brutality, hourly expecting extermination - how could he find life worth preserving?" Frankl clearly saw that it was those who had nothing to live for who died quickest in the concentration camp."

(excerpts from Victor Frankel's book "Man's Search for Meaning")
In one of his darkest moments while digging in a cold icy trench, he writes: "In a last violent protest against the hopelessness of imminent death, I sensed my spirit piercing through the enveloping gloom. I felt it transcend that hopeless, meaningless world, and from somewhere I heard a victorious 'Yes' in answer to my question of the existence of an ultimate purpose. At that moment a light was lit in a distant farmhouse, which stood on the horizon as if painted there, in the midst of the miserable grey of a dawning morning in Bavaria. 'Et lux in tenebris lucent'--and the light shineth in the darkness."

(from one of his counseling sessions)
"This young woman knew that she would die in the next few days. But when I talked to her she was cheerful in spite of this knowledge. 'I am grateful that fate has hit me so hard,' she told me. 'In my former life I was spoiled and did not take spiritual accomplishments seriously.' Pointing through the window of the hut, she said, 'This tree here is the only friend I have in my loneliness.' Through that window she could see just one branch of a chestnut tree, and on the branch were two blossoms. 'I often talk to this tree,' she said to me. I was startled and didn't quite know how to take her words. Was she delirious? Did she have occasional hallucinations? Anxiously I asked her if the tree replied. 'Yes.' What did it say to her? She answered, 'It said to me, "I am here--I am here--I am life, eternal life." (Thanks to "www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/frankl/frankl.html" for the above quotations.)

هیچ نظری موجود نیست:

ارسال یک نظر